Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19, 2012 First run on Jessup's Mill run on the Dan River



So close to home and so fun...The gradient was 23 ft/mile, fun, fun. We started at Jessup's Mill off Collinsville Rd and got out at Hart's access off 704 on the Dan River.  The temp was 75 degrees water temp was about 55 degrees.  Dennis paddled the new Liquid Logic Coupe in his wet suit.  I paddled out Perception sport rect boat with a splash skirt.  I could have paddled without the skirt but I would have had top dump my boat  a couple of times because of splash during the many class 2 rapids (at least 6). I did not wear a wetsuit and wore my rash guard shirt and shorts and was comfortable. This was the first time I used the splash skirt and it was warm.  Dennis' boat did great mine did fine too.  I was thankful the river guage was 2ft.  That made this run perfect.  If it was lower it would have been much for difficult because there are shallow places.  This run is 6.5 miles.  Loved all the class two rapids.  Dennis took a swim when his boat ran up on a rock.  He is sold on a sit on top kayak now.  I may want one now but 5 kayaks may be enough for now. I want to try this run with my creekboat.

No comments:

Post a Comment