Thursday, August 2, 2012

Smith River, Sports Complex to Mitchell Bridge

Timed the water level perfect. Had a fun and eventful day with great friends Warren and Kelly.

This section of the Smith River at the Sports Complex Access gets the water from the Martinsville dam 3 1/2 hours from the release time.  The dam releases at 1pm today and by 4:30pm it had peaked at the Sports Complex access.  The first part of this run is pretty flat and boring but from Eggleston Falls on it is pretty fun and has nice scenery.   This section has many class 1 and 1+ rapids (possibly a 2) and one 2+ or 3  which is Eggleston Falls.  We put in at 4:30pm as the Sports Complex passed Marrowbone Access at 5:30pm and got out around 7:15pm.  This information is helpful because I have not found it written anywhere and it is much more enjoyable to paddle in the river when it has water!!

Dennis and I discovered that Eggleston Falls is pretty easy to run if you go slightly left of the the center exposed rock then shift right toward the BIG exposed rock down stream.  Our friends Warren and Kelly enjoyed the sluice on the left to bypass the falls.  It is a fun ride as well.

The only low point was passing a stinky deer carcass as fast as I could and hearing gagging noises behind me, breathing out of my mouth while trying not to gag myself.  I discovered I can gather speed when I paddle if I need to. Phew!

Also I discovered people are generally kind when a stranger stopped after being flagged down by Kelly and gave the guys a lift to the put in after we left the keys of the vehicle parked at the take out in the vehicle parked at the put in. Thanks kind stranger!  Reminder to self:  Always ask about the keys before entering the river!

Also note to self: Calling the cab company in Martinsville is useless unless you can give them step by directions on how to get to you.  I gave them the address but they do not have a GPS I guess and had no idea how to find us.  Better not need a ride in Martinsville.

One more fun paddle before school starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment