Saturday, July 28, 2012

Kibler Valley to the Methodist Church run. FUN!

Kibler is FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Kibler is gorgous!!!  This is Basketball Falls a class 3 where we put in.

One of the FEW calm areas.


Wow, paddling with friends in the morning on a relaxing run starting at Big Creek on Lynchburg Rd. to Hanging Rock Access to paddling with Dennis on the thrilling Kibler Valley section of the Dan River made an exciting day.

I am so lucky to have so many options so close to home.  Kibler Valley at the dam is only about 1 hr from King.  This was my first time running this section.  We put in at the basketball courts to bypass the 3 class rapids at the top of the run.  This was Dennis and I's first time running this section.  This was the most challanging section we have been on yet and it was a BLAST!!!  The dam started running at 7500 kwz at 12pm then at 2pm moved to 9600 kwz.

Kibler Valley in Ararat Va. is one of those runs you can only do if the dam is running and they only run the dam if they need power. Thanks goodness I am on the email group SRVCC, if anyone hears they are going to run they post it. This makes this difficult to find a time to do this section except it does run every Saturday in July for recreation releases usually at 7500 kwz.
Another shot of Basketball Falls.


This was the most fun I have had in a boat!!!!  We were kinda nervous putting in because it looked fast.  Where we put in is a solid class 2 run, whitewater for about entire 3.75 miles. and took out at the church.  It only took about 1 hour to go close to 4 miles.  This section is narrow and has many trees hanging low.  There are strainers too you need to avoid as well.  It is a more techical section of the Dan River because of the narrow passage, strainers and the fast moving water but soooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!  Our Liquid Logic Coupes sit on tops with thigh straps did wonderfully.  I am glad I wore a helmet too.  I can not wait to do this section again!


You could run this section 1-3 times easy in one day.  You can park at the church to take out and the basketball court to put in if you want to avoid the class 3 rapids.  I look forward to working my way up to the class 3 section starting at the dam.  This run I could do daily if I got the chance!!  It was that FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment