Saturday, July 28, 2012

Big Creek (Lynchburg Rd) to Hanging Rock Access, Dan River

The difference 1 day can make. Because the Kibler dam ran the day before the river depth went from 1.47ft. 7/26 to 1.7 ft 7/27.  It made a huge difference on the river.  This was a much easier run than the day before.  I paddled this with Lanie and Rhonda.  They both did a great job.  We put in at 9:20 am and took out at 11:50am.  The trip was approx 2 1/2 hours today and the day before it was close to 4 hours the flow 7/26 was 102 cfs but today the flow was 155 cfs.  This made a huge difference in speed, ease and time.  I was shocked.  Poor mom, Suzanne and Melody the day before had to work hard compared to today with Rhonda and Lanie because the water was so low.
Lanie just after we got in.

Rhonda pulling up to take a break.

Lanie floating a rapid.
This was a fun time.  This bridge access is steep and trashy but the Hanging Rock access is easy and nice.


I really enjoyed the company and beauty of the river.  I was off the river by 12pm ate lunch and was on the river again by 4pm up at Kibler Valley. I am trying to make the most of the few days I have left to paddle before I have to go back to teaching.
Rhonda scooting through the last rapid on this pretty run.
Lanie scooting the last rapid too.

No comments:

Post a Comment