Sunday, July 15, 2012

Snow Creek to Hemlock Access on the Dan River

Dennis and I discovered that the dam release water from Kibler 11-5 Saturday is at the section on the Dan River at Snowcreek to Hemlock at 9:30am Sunday.  During a time where the rivers are so low this is helpful if you want to paddle in the summer.  We arrived at Hemlock Access at 9:00 and put in at Snowcreek at 9:30am and got out at 11:45am at Hemlock. The water was up on the section more than I have seen it but it was very muddy from the rain with the dam release.   It did wash out some of the rapids.  The river gauge at Fransisco said 1.64ft but that is because the release water had past there.  This was no indicator of the water level at this run.  The class 2 at the end of the run (Hemlock Access) was the most fun I had ever run it.

I may do this section  the next day of the dam release again as long as it had not rained.  The muddy water took away from the beauty of this section. I decided after yesterday and today that I do not like MUDDY water. I like clear water with no tires in it.  Saw 3 car tires along the way.  Why would someone put tires in a river?

 If I remember correctly the peak of the release hits Hemlock at 10:30AM AFTER A Kibler dam release Saturday 11-5.  I just know the water was at Snowcreek today at 9:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment